Tuesday, April 9, 2013

One More B Thing

When it comes to B week, who could skip buh-buh-buh-banana bread?!?!

In our house, all three of the boys love banana bread (Dad, the little guy, and the baby). I've tried many recipes, but this one is my favorite. It's not complicated, and I make it with whole wheat, limited sugar, and basically no fat. This means I feel virtually no guilt in feeding it to my guys for breakfast.

I don't remember where I found the original recipe, but it was probably online somewhere. I have made a few of my own alterations.
 
Banana Bread


1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt
2 egg whites
1 1/2 cup mashed ripe bananas (approx. 4 medium)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
3 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease loaf pan. In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. In separate bowl mix together egg whites, bananas, sugar, applesauce, and vanilla. Stir flour mixture into banana mixture until moistened. Pour into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Cool bread in pan for 10 minutes, then remove. 

Variation Banana Muffins: You can also use this batter to make muffins instead of the loaf. For regular size muffins bake for 12 to 14 minutes. For mini muffins bake for 8 to 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment