Friday, April 5, 2013

Job Booklet


Blame it on my childhood, but the traditional "job chart" just never appealed to me. So, this is my version of my Momma's classic "job booklet." Set of jobs for the mornings, set of jobs for the evenings. The little guy gets to flip the page once he completes the job.

Granted, these are very simple jobs (i.e., get dressed and brush teeth), but, well, he's only three. We'll add more age-appropriate jobs as he gets older.

Supplies: 
Construction paper
Scissors
Crayons/markers
Glue stick
Hole punch
Binder rings
Laminating supplies (optional)
Job pictures (make your own, or use mine)




 

Directions:
1. Create your job pictures/download and print the ones I created by clicking here.
2. Color your images, or have your little one color them.
3. Cut them out.
4. Use the glue stick to mount them to various colors of construction paper.
5. Cut the construction paper.
6. Laminate (optional - see notes below)
7. Punch holes.
8. Bind with rings.
Voila!

P.S. If you're laminating, you probably can skip steps 4 and 5 entirely, if you want.



Notes on the Laminating Thing: I do want to note that a few months back I splurged and purchased the laminating machine. I had originally intended to buy what used to be known as "contact paper," simply clear sticky material that you could sort of laminate papers without the machine. (I have many fond memories of playing with my mom's contact paper.... much to her dismay.) This is the stuff I remember: http://www.amazon.com/Kittrich-999300-Clear-Contact-Paper/dp/B002HNYZ40. But my local stores didn't have the stuff, and well, let's be honest, I was too impatient to wait for it to be shipped. 

The self-laminating sheets made by Scotch that I found were twice the price per sheet than the thermal sheets. I also had several things I wanted to laminate. So, I went for it. I paid $25 for the machine (which also came with two laminating sheets), and $10 for a pack of 20 additional sheets. This is the product line: http://www.scotchbrand.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/ScotchBrand/Scotch/Products/Catalog/?N=4294417741+5478822&rt=r3, and I really have been happy with these. (Click on the catalog item, then on "Where to Buy" to find a retailer near you.)

But... If you aren't up for any laminating, and you happen to have clear packing tape, you can always cover the surfaces in tape. This was how I used to laminate. Works great, just a little time consuming, and maybe not quite as nice looking.  


No comments:

Post a Comment