Friday, April 12, 2013

Children's Book Review: Goonight Moon

 
Goodnight Moon
written by Margaret Wise Brown
illustrated by Clement Hurd
published by HarperCollins

This one is a rarity. As I have mentioned before, I have a strong distaste for children's books that do not have a storyline. It's been a couple of weeks since I posted a new library book that we loved... because none of them have had storylines that were satisfactory for me. Now, that being said, this book does not have a qualifying storyline. But. We adore it. The summary of this book simply includes saying goodnight to various objects in a child's room.

The Little Guy's Impression
During the two weeks we kept this book, we read it at least twice each night, and sometimes three times. When I asked him about this one, his response was "We should go get it again."

Mom's Impression
I loved reading this one out loud.The images are subdued, but beautiful, and the words are simple. In a lot of ways, this one is a perfect bedtime story. I found myself reading in a hushed tone, and it almost seemed to quiet all of us to prepare for bedtime. One of my favorite aspects of this book was that by the end of the week the little guy would quietly recite the words with me. Granted, he was reciting from memory and not reading, it was fun for me to have him read it along with me. This is a book I would love to have in our home library.

No comments:

Post a Comment